Friday, December 16, 2011

It's 58 Right Now

and we have 5 mph winds coming from the north. I don't think I can recall a time when we've had northern wind.


Anyway, this post isn't about the weather. It's about music.


Yesterday, I worked at the KFMB station for the first time in months. It's always a trade off working there. On one hand, everyone is always so happy to see me again- asking me if I've lost weight and telling me how much they missed me. Who doesn't love that?
But on the other hand, I'm stuck in a small little cave for 9 hours at a time by myself without so much as a cigarette break. Nightmarish. Add to that the fact that business was pretty slow and I was practically bouncing off the walls. My only saving grace was that I had a fully charged ipod to help offset the madness. And that got me thinking on how much music affects my day to day.
My music is one my few constants- it's always playing, in the car, on breaks, even right now I'm blogging to music. I realize that I spend more quality time with my music then I do with some close friends. And it isn't that I have such a huge collection of songs- I don't. I have maybe 15 bands that I listen to with any regularity. So, I'm certainly not varied with my music tastes but what I do like is always brilliant. With only 15 slots, I don't want to waste time with music that makes me anything but supremely happy.




Like Red Hunter.

Or Redding. Or Peter and the Wolf. He goes by a lot of names. He is one of the greatest things to come out of Texas. He also got me through a bad break-up and came along for my first road trip with the SC boys.






And The White Stripes.
Whom I had to listen to in secret my first year in college after I rashly denounced them in my English Literature class as doing nothing more then coattailing The Doors. My god, I was stupid at 19.






Then there's Miss Gillian Welch and this song which hold one of the most gut wrenching lines in all of music....






Devendra Banhart With his improbable name and nicety- he never fails to make me wish it was summer. And that's a feat as I hate summer.






And Far Who ruled my life from 2000 til 2005. And yeah, okay- they still get a fairly strong say.






And Colin Meloy.... Who once had a little band. And before they called it quits, that little band created my single favorite song in the world. He could have stopped there and still had my eternal gratitude but no, He iced the cake and formed the Decemberists.

No comments:

Post a Comment