Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Regarding shopping schizophrenia and birthdays

A lot of girls will say that their shopping weakness is shoes or purses or maybe something completely different- like model trains. And while I do love shoes and purses and (to a lesser extent) scale models, my real shopping weakness is events. 98% of my purchases happen when I've got a fancy party or a trip or show coming up. I get an image in my head of how I want to look and then scour the internet and local vintage shops in an effort to force that mental image into outfit reality. 
 The process goes a little something like this....


Self: Oooh, I'm going to a work holiday party with The New Boy this month. Dang, what am I going to wear?
Frugal Self: Don't go buying a new dress- you have a million hanging in the closet. Wear one of those.
Self: Alright, I do love The Wedding Dress and I've only worn it twice....
Indulgent Self: But what about shoes? It's the holidays and nothing says the holidays like red shoes. 
Frugal Self: We have red shoes.
Indulgent Self: They're falling apart.
Self: That's true, ok I'll buy some new shoes and I'll make sure they're fairly inexpensive.
Indulgent Self: And a giant statement bracelet...
Frugal Self: No way! Totally unnecessary.
Self: Hmmmm...
Indulgent Self: And new underwear!
Frugal Self: What are we, made of money or something???
Self: Ummm...
Indulgent Self: AND YOU HAVE TO GET A NEW PURSE!
Frugal Self: THIS IS WHY WE STILL LIVE WITH OUR MOTHER!! BECAUSE YOU CAN'T BUDGET YOUR MONEY!!
Self: Both of you just shut up! You're not even real- you're just Freudian manifestations of my own internal dialogue.

End scene.

Ok, so here's what I ended up buying.
 Bangle set I picked up from Taneesi Jewelry on Etsy.
 
New Red Shoes from modcloth

And a whole bunch of pretty underthings from Dollhouse Bettie.

I showed all kinds of restraint and did not buy a new purse since I own a perfectly lovely red evening bag that was a gift from ML. Also, it's my birthday so that mean I have to share this which has been my birthday song for something like 8 years now. I don't think I've ever posted Jonah here but He is another of my favorite people and I will forever love his music. so here ya go. 


Jonah Matranga Live at WAH part three // 14-41 from We Are Home. on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE YOU GIRL!!!! Amazing purchases & hilarious post! Have a fantastic birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice additions I must say :)

    ReplyDelete