Monday, December 6, 2010

Sometimes people can be such buggers

I've come to realize something in the 4 odd years since I first started dressing vintage. It's 2011, we are the rulers of this little planet of ours and we've made technological, social and cultural advances that are mind boggling And yet, we humans still don't like different
Different from us, different from what we know. Deep down on some primal level, people hate the uncommon.

I'm a member over on The Fedora Lounge and in the ladies section, there is a whole thread about comments you get from people when you wear your vintage. And sadly, most of the posts there are from gals who have been taunted and even harassed. People see a lady in a 50's dress or a gent in a suit and hat and out come the snide comments, the giggles and the rude behavior. I've encountered some of this myself;  last night I was just telling a guy that at least half of the responses I get to my clothing are chilly if not downright negative. 
Most of it is from people who aren't trying to be mean but just can't understand why I look the way I do. 
Am I in a play?
Do I work at the Corvette Diner?
Or Disneyland (of all random places)
I've been yelled at by passing cars, called Lucy/Betty/Dorothy/Rosie, asked if I'm a space traveler (?), laughed at and one time been called a bitch by two girls on the street as I was walking by.

This I tend to indulge (for the curious folks) or ignore (for the rude ones)- but I can't help being baffled that such a reaction is garnered from something as honestly superficial and meaningless as clothing. And the answer I keep coming to is people don't like you to be different and sometimes they're just mean about it.

I follow the blog of a lovely and inspiring woman in England who does vintage far better then I ever could. Her blog, Diary of a Vintage Girl  is mainly vintage related but occasionally has some personal posts. And she's been attacked in her comments by random crazies for either being a vintage snob or for not being vintage enough in regards to the personal posts. This has happened at least twice and it's just disgusting to me really. Another example to people not liking different.

It's just clothing folks. Let's get some perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment